jason thurber's weblog

globally-scoped ramblings

From the weblog of Bruce Eckel

with 23 comments

Here (Bruce Eckel’s Blog) is a great artice entitled “The Ideal Programmer”. Some good snippets:

  • …the most fundamental concept in computing … the “DRY” principle (“Don’t Repeat Yourself” – which includes but means more than “don’t write the same code twice in more than one place.” It means: “there should be one authoritative repository for each concept in a program.”) – is practically ignored (and perhaps not even understood) by a large percentage of programmers.
  • 5% of the programmers are 20 times more productive than the other 95% … there’s the idea that the majority (probably that other 95%) of programmers don’t read books on programming, and perhaps only have the language manual at their desk
  • Might want to add it to your subscription list.

    Written by jthurber

    July 23rd, 2003 at 8:13 pm

    Posted in found-on-web